Transferring apps from one developer account to another? Oh, is that even possible? Yes! Transferring your iOS apps from one Apple Developer Account to another Apple Developer Account as well as moving Android app to another Google Developer Account is allowed. Consider the following situations:
- Your apps were once published under MagLoft Developer Accounts. You're planning to offer subscription and you upgraded your MagLoft subscription to Professional Plan (nice move!), this means you have to use your own developer accounts. We won't need to build a new app as we can just transfer the existing apps under MagLoft Developer Accounts to yours.
- Your apps were once published under your personal developer accounts and you're moving them to your company's accounts.
- Your apps were published with another digital publishing provider and you would like to move over to MagLoft.
Please refer to the guides below for transferring your app from one developer account to another on:
You transfer an app when you’ve sold the app to another developer or you want to move it to another App Store Connect organization. You can transfer the ownership of an app to another developer without removing the app from the App Store. The app retains its reviews and ratings during and after the transfer, and users continue to have access to future updates. There’s no limit to the number of apps you can transfer, but you need to transfer each app individually.
Step 1: Verify that the app can be transferred
The app must meet specific criteria to be transferable. For example, at least one version of the app must have been released to the App Store. For more criteria, go to App transfer criteria.
Step 2: Back up all app information
Because an app is removed from your account after an app transfer, you should back up all information about the app before you transfer it. Go to Initiate an app transfer.
Step 3: Initiate the app transfer
Step 4: Accept the app transfer
The team agent in the recipient organization accepts the app transfer. Go to Accept an app transfer.
Google Developer Console:
For Android App, you will need to send a request to Google Developer Support team after reviewing the instructions listed below.
Review transfer tips & requirements
- When you transfer apps to a different account, your apps' users, download statistics, ratings and reviews, content ratings, and store listing information are all transferred to your new account.
- Your bulk export reports, payout reports, and earnings reports won't transfer with the app, so you may want to download any reports you'll need later. New versions of these reports will be created once the app transfers to a new account.
- For Google team to complete a transfer request, the original account and all apps being transferred need to comply with all policy guidelines.
Step 1: Make sure your Google Play Developer accounts are registered & active
Before Google team can transfer apps from your original account to a different account, known as your target account, both Google Play Developer accounts need to be fully registered and active.
Step 2: Transfer your developer name
If you want to use the same developer name on your target account as you're using on your original account, you need to change the name on your original account first.
Once you've changed your developer name on the original account, you can update the developer name on your target account.
Step 3: Find your account registration IDs
You'll need both of the transaction IDs for your original and target account registrations. You can find this on the receipt that was emailed to you when you registered for each account.
Tip: If you can't find them in your email, check your transactions on the account you used to pay the account registration fee.
Transactions IDs for registrations are typically in one of the following formats:
Step 4: Prepare your target account
If you're transferring paid apps or apps with in-app products, your target account needs to have an active payments profile.
If you're using a different default currency on your target account, here are two conditions that apply to your transfer:
- In-app purchases only: You need to add a price in the new default currency for each in-app product. After your app is transferred to your target account, the app will be unpublished until you publish it again. Once you've verified the new prices on your target account, publish the app again.
- Paid apps: Default currency changes will be automatically applied to app prices.
Step 5: Update accounts & apps that use integrated services
If you use any integrated services on your apps, including Google Analytics, Firebase, and Google Play game services, make sure to update your account settings and apps.
Step 6: Submit your transfer request
After you've completed the previous steps, you're ready to submit your transfer request.
To help expedite your transfer, make sure you have the following information ready to submit:
- Developer name on your target account
- Original account email address
- Target account email address
- Transaction ID for original account registration
- Transaction ID for target account registration
- Package names for all apps you want to transfer to your target account
- If you're transferring paid apps or apps with in-app purchases, make sure your target account has an active payments profile.
That's pretty much it, it looks like a bit complicated but it actually is not. You can do it on your own but of course if you ever need help from MagLoft, we are more than happy to help!